Tuesday

Of Myopia, Music, and Contact Lenses

I think I shall go back to Saturday. Saturday was my older brother’s birthday party. It was here that my glasses broke. Now, it wasn’t irresponsibility or carelessness that broke them, they were doomed to break eventually anyway, judging by that bent arm (though perhaps I shouldn’t have put them in my pocket and then attempted to lift heavy objects, but I digress…)
No, they were quite bent anyway, and rather unfixable I might add. At the debate tournament prior, a few of my fellow debate friends attempted to fix the crooked arm by bending it upwards. It was to no avail. There was a point where a long line of debaters zig zagged throughout the campus in an attempt to straighten the arm and thus be crowned Knight of the Prep Table.

But nobody succeeded, and the arm broke off a week later.

It made it rather hard to see things…without glasses and all that. That Monday was my first day of this semester at the JC. (college days to be posted soon!) I managed my first class orientation (fencing) fine without them…voice was a disaster. Rather than just orientation, our teacher actually made us pull out our books and sing along to a song. Not only did I not have my book (or a writing utensil…or anything really except my backpack and Tigre: el encargado de las tarjetas de Starbucks) but I had to share with the person next to me. Since I no longer had my glasses, I had to lean over her knee to see the page…and lean…and squint…and lean…

Let’s just say it was an appropriate time to pull out the awkward turtle.

Oh well, I’m dropping voice class anyway.

That very afternoon was my eye appointment. I went to see the optometrist. Optometrists are very friendly. They aren’t twisted like dentists can be sometimes. I really don’t know why that is. I always feel a little stupid when I go in to see the optometrist, however. They often ask you to read series of letters, and make you keep going until you read one incorrectly. Then they say “ok, that’s good” in a sort of sorry and sympathetic way and scribble something cynical on your prescription notes. Even though the point is how well you can see, not read, I have a theory that they silently laugh at your stupidity.

I refused this optometrist that pleasure.

“Can you read that line?”

“Yes, I can. I can read other lines too. I’ve read lines upon lines of Dickens, C.S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury and --”

“Could you please read that line?”

“I just did.”

“Out loud?”

“Do you not trust me?”

“Come on, what does it say?”

“Uh. It’s hard to tell. Your handwriting is fuzzy, blurry and awful. But if I were to guess--”

Then comes the slides.

“Ok, which is clearer, slide 4 or slide 5?”

“Neither are clear at all.”

“All right, but which one is clearer?”

“They’re both the same.”

“What?”

“They’re both equally unclear. What does F L C O stand for anyway? The Fuzzy Llama Company? Funny Looking Children Organization?”

But…do they look different?”

“Well yeah, slide 4 is blurrier than 5.”

Then comes counting.

“Ok, look at my face. How many fingers am I holding up?”

“Seven”

“No. Look at my face when I hold up my hands.”

“Ok”

“How many?”

“Uh, this may take a while.”

“What?”

(pause)

“I’d wager about 75.”

“What?”

“You have 75 freckles.”

“No! Fingers! Your supposed to count the fingers!”

“You said to look at your face!”

“Your supposed to count my fingers while looking at my face.”

“I’m nearsighted for pete’s sake, how the heck am I supposed to do that?!”

Then he used some utensils to look inside my eye.

“Next time you have an appointment, you should get your eyes dilated so that it’s easier to see inside of them.”

“But you charged extra for it. If it’s so necessary, why do you charge extra for it?”

“Uuh”

“Isn’t that like charging extra for a scalpel during a brain surgery?”

After taking note of my prescription, he pulled a couple of small packets out of a drawer and opened them.

“Hold still…look up”

Before I knew it, I could see clearly. And I wasn’t even wearing glasses! I had been installed with little high tech rubbery lenses in each eye.

So after taking a little How to Take Care of Your Contacts 101, we went home and I showed my new contacts to the rest of my family. They couldn’t see anything though. No, you can’t really see them unless you look very very carefully.

But they can see you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

He had 7 fingers? That's weird. Really.

I like Rosy. (MY eye doctor.)

Drama Queen said...

Ok, i know half of that stuff didnt really happen, but funny all the same!